Country Music Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice

5 posters

Go down

Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice Empty Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice

Post  countryrocks Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:01 am

Are there artists out there that you know are talented vocally, but you just can't enjoy them because you don't like how their voice sounds? Hunter Hayes is the first that comes to mind for me. His voice is just affraid for me.
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

https://thecmzone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice Empty Re: Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice

Post  threadsense Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:10 am

I'm thinking Blake Shelton. I like him, sort of, but there is more I don't like than I like.....and he can sing
threadsense
threadsense

Back to top Go down

Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice Empty Re: Artist that can sing, but you don't like their voice

Post  ChicaCherryCola Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:00 pm

This list for me is about 48 pages long. Seriously. I'll admit that Carrie Underwood can sing, but I absolutely HATE her voice. It bothers me so much I can't even listen to it. Same with Jennifer Nettles. I really dislike a lot of female vocalists actually. So that would be the mass majority of my list. Exceptions are Sara Evans & Natalie Imbruglia... now they can sing AND I adore the hell out of their voices.
ChicaCherryCola
ChicaCherryCola

Back to top Go down

Post  Trufan Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Now I can disagree there...I can't stand to listen to Sara Evans. Listen carefully to her sing Suds. She has too much of a washboard vibrato for my liking. I absolutely love to hear Carrie sing, most of the time.
Trufan
Trufan

Back to top Go down

Post  ChicaCherryCola Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Trufan wrote:Now I can disagree there...I can't stand to listen to Sara Evans. Listen carefully to her sing Suds. She has too much of a washboard vibrato for my liking. I absolutely love to hear Carrie sing, most of the time.

I'm fine with it. Sara has a lot of twang in her voice, which usually bugs me, but I adore her style of singing and I can't really explain why. But I hate too powerful of voices and that's what Carrie is. She has too powerful of a voice for my taste, it makes me nervous listening to her and she sounds too phlegmy.
ChicaCherryCola
ChicaCherryCola

Back to top Go down

Post  Trufan Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Sometimes she does sound like I wish she would blow her nose. But her vibrato and control is so magnificent.
Trufan
Trufan

Back to top Go down

Post  ChicaCherryCola Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Trufan wrote:Sometimes she does sound like I wish she would blow her nose. But her vibrato and control is so magnificent.

Exactly...little nasally. Her control is alright, I think she overdoes it though a little which gives the illusion that she doesn't have much control.
ChicaCherryCola
ChicaCherryCola

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda_3 Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Carrie Underwood is a good singer vocally, I guess, but I don't care for her voice or her style of music. Alison Krauss is supposed to be a good singer, but I never liked her singing. In fact I prefer Carrie Underwood to her.

A lot of people think Gary Allan is a good singer, but I can't stand his voice.

Miranda_3

Back to top Go down

Post  countryrocks Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:06 am

I love Carrie's voice. She is a bit nasally at times, but overall her voice is very clear and very powerful- two qualities I appreciate in a voice. Often, she has to try and outsing all the production... I love it when she sings stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-caWK_FNqc

I like Sara's voice for the most part, but she does have a nasally voice. I don't care for Suds in the Bucket and I don't think it does anything to showcase her vocal talent. However, on the other hand, My Heart Can't Tell You No is a phenomenal song and I think Sara sings it to perfection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7g_gh-fck

Jennifer Nettles can go either way for me. She is beyond talented vocally and can sing anything she chooses to, but if I don't like the song she's singing, her voice can tend to grate on my nerves. I've never been a fan of Sugarland...I've liked Jennifer's older solo work better, l'm talking about her Jennifer Nettles Band days.

I've been very unimpressed with Alan Jackson's vocals over the years, but I know he can technically carry a tune (barely, in my opinion). Same with Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson. None of these are artists I would choose to listen to though, their voices just don't cut it for me. Sunny Sweeney too- she has such a whiny, shrill voice. I know a lot of people can't stand Alison Krauss voices, but I actually like it.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention Bob Dylan. A tremendous songwriter...but not my favorite singer.
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Trufan Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 am

I can't even listen to Alison Kraus. She sounds like she has laryngitis.
Trufan
Trufan

Back to top Go down

Post  threadsense Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Trufan wrote:I can't even listen to Alison Kraus. She sounds like she has laryngitis.

I love Alison Kraus and Sara Evans! Jennifer Nettles is among my current favorite voices; I even like her Christmas music. Amazing how different our tastes are.

I really like Carrie Underwood's voice, but have always felt her song choices totally blow, so can't listen to her.
threadsense
threadsense

Back to top Go down

Post  ChicaCherryCola Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 pm

I feel like I am super picky when it comes to voices. It takes a lot for me to go "I LOVE THEIR VOICE!"... a lot. I like a lot of voices, but there are a very small group of artists who I literally get chills when I hear them.
ChicaCherryCola
ChicaCherryCola

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda_3 Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 am

Trufan wrote:I can't even listen to Alison Kraus. She sounds like she has laryngitis.
She tries to play up the "angelic" tone and I think it sounds contrived and I don't care for it. I hear her angel voice doesn't match personality anyway

Miranda_3

Back to top Go down

Post  countryrocks Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 am

Miranda_3 wrote:
She tries to play up the "angelic" tone and I think it sounds contrived and I don't care for it. I hear her angel voice doesn't match personality anyway

I haven't heard anything from her in forever, and I know nothing about her personality. The trouble with her is, her songs don't appeal to me. They don't grab me at all. I also understand how her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to some.

Last edited by countryrocks on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda_3 Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm not huge fan of bluegrass, especially the fake bluegrass that she does.

Miranda_3

Back to top Go down

Post  ChicaCherryCola Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Miranda_3 wrote:I'm not huge fan of bluegrass, especially the fake bluegrass that she does.

^TRUTH
ChicaCherryCola
ChicaCherryCola

Back to top Go down

Post  countryrocks Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Miranda_3 wrote:I'm not huge fan of bluegrass, especially the fake bluegrass that she does.

It took me a while to appreciate bluegrass, but I like some of it now. I have a lot of respect for the musicians that play it, it takes lots of talent. I'd take Rhonda Vincent over Alison anyday though.

Heartbreaker's Alibi: (really love this one)

I've Forgotten You
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  threadsense Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:31 am

...and Ricky Skaggs over them all; that man just oozes Bluegrass
threadsense
threadsense

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda_3 Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 am

countryrocks wrote:

It took me a while to appreciate bluegrass, but I like some of it now. I have a lot of respect for the musicians that play it, it takes lots of talent. I'd take Rhonda Vincent over Alison anyday though.

Heartbreaker's Alibi: (really love this one)

I've Forgotten You
Rhonda Vincent is a thousand times better than Alison Krauss. I've seen Rhonda live and I enjoyed it

Miranda_3

Back to top Go down

Post  countryrocks Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Rhonda is a better singer, and I think there's something much more genuine about her and her music than Alison.
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  countryrocks Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 pm

threadsense wrote:...and Ricky Skaggs over them all; that man just oozes Bluegrass

Oh yes, can't forget Ricky Skaggs!
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  countryrocks Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 pm

ChicaCherryCola wrote:

^TRUTH

Do you know anything by Rhonda Vincent or Ricky Skaggs?
countryrocks
countryrocks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChicaCherryCola Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 am

countryrocks wrote:
ChicaCherryCola wrote:

^TRUTH

Do you know anything by Rhonda Vincent or Ricky Skaggs?

Who are you asking?... know them, not a huge fan though. But I don't dislike them by an means.
ChicaCherryCola
ChicaCherryCola

Back to top Go down

Post  threadsense Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 am

Take a listen to Ricky Skaggs "Live at the Charleston Music Hall"...one of the best LIVE albums ever.
threadsense
threadsense

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down