Chinese New Year

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chinese New Year

Post  threadsense on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Big doins in Chinese culture this month. Today is the first day of Year of the Snake! (Year of the Dragon ended yesterday....I'm a Dragon, I had a party)

The Lunar New Year begins today. It's the Year of the Snake. According to Asian culture, individuals born in the year of the snake are goal-oriented and hate failure. They are excellent mediators -- intelligent, refined, clever in business and good providers because they value material wealth. A healthy, happy and prosperous New Year to you all. (birth years 1905, 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, & 2013)

Its the perfect excuse for a themed dinner party....set the table with red/gold/black/white...but must include red. There is a youtube video for learning to eat with chopsticks....good Chinese food is wonderfully easy to make.

The Dragon kite that has been living in my entry hall light fixture will be coming down this week....so sad, he's been so happy there all year.

(FYI, my son-in-law is first generation Chinese-American (year of Rooster), so through him and his family we've embraced his culture as part of our own. My daughter is year of Snake....their son is year of Monkey, who describes his ethnic roots as "half Chinese, half redneck" Shocked )

Gung hay, fat choy
threadsense

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top